Developing languages in the specified fields like one of the methods for resolving the problem of cultural diversities in the processes of regionalization and globalization (3)
Posted by daothu09 on August 20, 2009
Dr. DAO Hong Thu
V. Developing LSP and PSC – one of the methods for resolving the problem of cultural diversities in the processes of regionalization and globalization
Because of the world changes, languages are shifted from the place of a tool to social unity in the countries using that language to the higher and more important place in these countries. The globalization is obviously not only raising the role of languages in every country as a supporting and catalytic factor to the nation’s economic and social developments, but also its prestige on the international ground.
Researches show that the language basis in schools is likely to bring great effect to the development if it proves its ability on education, that is intermediate language basis needs to be used and is able to impart knowledge in primary, secondary, high-school and university education levels. One symbol sample of Japan tells that Japan has been sucessfully becoming a developed country with internationally recognised prestige and respect mainly because languages have been broadly used in education, that has resulted in opening a broad way for the development of technology and industry.
In Vietnam the Law on Education deals with policies and systems, with the improvement of the people’s intellectual standard and the preservation of the ethnic cultural heritage. According to this Law, the State will create favourable conditions for ethnic groups to learn the languages and writing systems of their own and will set up boarding schools, semi-boarding schools, and pre-universities for the children of families settling permanently in regions in specially difficult socio-economic conditions, in order to create a source of training cadres for these regions provided with teachers, facilities, equipment and budget.
The using of national and foreign languages in education always lays the foundation and plays an decisive step to the quality of the countries’ industrialization. Therefore, one of the conditions required for the process of country’s industrialization and modernization is the use of LSP, that means the specified languages in the different fields of science and technology.
As a result, the investment in developing and modernising LSP is necessary and requires being taken first before a technology transfer is carried out. The pre-condition is that in this context, the building and developing languages needs to be attached much importance, essentially building and modernizing LSP. Developing the foundation of LSP is to create opportunities for one language of one developing country, for example, becoming one competitive scientific language in the country’s industrialization and modernization. The popular international cooperations have brought new developments to each nation’s languages, and therefore cultural diversities brings prosper to the international cooperations and the processes of globalization and regionalization nowadays.
It is obvious that cultural diversities are existing because of various reasons. We believe that in the processes of building and developing languages and cultures in the specified fields (in the technological and technical fields) it needs to focus on direct and indirect reasons affecting this process.
The indirect reasons as follows:
– The developments and the changes in social institutions in the way of the regionalization and globalization processes in every country as well as the development of its languages give the country a deserved possition that it might not have had before.
– Different kinds of information, the cultural diversities and its exchange within peoples and the significant development of science and technology have been growing very fast. As a result, it is to appear great demands of language exchange and development among peoples in the form of teaching and learning foreign languages, as well as a number of other practical issues relating languages especially profession ones (technological and technical).
The followings are the direct reasons:
– Great capacity of the human beings receiving more than one language at the same time and taking research on different languages with defined goals and directions.
– Researches and studies on languages and cultural diversities of many countries are always taken more broadly and deepy than those of one country.
– There appears an increasing demand of study on languages and cultural diversities in the specific professional fields.
– The increase of the need for combining the nation’s language studies with settlement of proper issues of multi-languages and cultural diversities.
In the economical and social development processes of human beings nowadays, because of not paying enough attention to LSP and PSC it will lead to uncontrol consequences. It proves to be clear in the following example. Some steel companies could go bankcrupt because it failed to comprehend all the components of PSC and LSP in their professional fields necessary to its activities.
So, the role of LSP and PSC to the development of a modern society is extra significant. Languages and profession specific cultures bring their direct contributions to the progression of modern technology and science.
Researches show that in the processes of globalization and regionalization it is able to find out some methods helping dealing with cultural diversities as follows:
– Use the modern native and foreign languages with LSP’s terms in the primary school;
– Developing LSP (national and forein languages) and giving students knowledge of cultural diversities in secondary school;
– Investing in diffusing knowledge of LSP (national and foreign ones) and PSC before any process of technology transfer or developing investment. This does not mean this process should be without practical issues.
– Organizing seminars or workshops on the issues of LSP and PSC for students and staff.
According to our findings, using and developing LSP and PSC are the fundermental methods for resolving problems in relation to cultural diversities in the processes of globalization and regionalization nowadays. To developing countries, LSP and PSC specially ones in the professional branches of science and technology need to be considered as the basis for motivative development of the modern society and need to be used systematically in schools. The using and developing languages for specific purposes do not halt in national languages, but to broadly used and rapidly developed foreign languages necessary for the international cooperations and integration. Because all the diversities of all the peoples’ cultures will be completely magnifested through the languages and profession specific cultures used by peoples in the cooperations.
Finding methods which are recollected in the paper for overcoming challenges in the international integrating processes is only one of the ways for researching different methods in the wider range, as the paper basically concerns questions of cultural diversities in spheres of science, technology and investment development processes. Moreover, the purpose here is the leading part of alive language of specialities in present processes of rapid development of science and technology, and it is supposed for development of languages of less developed countries, and also economically undeveloped areas at various levels represent.
Finally, it is necessary to pay special attention to the language development (foreign and national languages) and profession specific cultures for developing countries, especially in a systematic way to the development of languages for specific purposes in the various fields of science and technology, and to the further development of cultural exchanges between peoples in the world.
1. Lioyd Fernando. Culture in Conflict. Graham Brash, Singapore, 1986.
2. Edited by Asmah Hap Omar. National language and communication in multilingual society. Kuala Lumpur, 1987.
3. Benedict R.O G. Anderson. Language and power. Cornell University Press, Ithaca and London, 1990.
4. Nguyen Huy Can. Vietnamese in the industrialization process in Vietnam. Department of linguistics UKM – DBP. First international seminar. Nov. 15-16, 1994 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.
5. Khong Dien. Regional and ethnic diversity: How should the State approach this reality in cultural aspect? Mag. “Vietnam’s urgent issues”, Files on Vietnam, 01 – 02 / 2003.
6. Vietnam Newspapers and Magazines.
7. Dao Hong Thu. Problem of languages and cultures in the sphere of training technical students. The 19th HUT’s Congrate, 2001.